Ifo economist, Klaus Wohlrabe, comments after the report earlier
- Industrial sector is slowly emerging from crisis
- Uncertainty has decreased in the last two to three months
- Helped by Brexit clarity and settlement in US-China trade conflict
- Says that Iran crisis did not play a big role in the survey earlier
- Expects German economy to expand by 0.2% in Q1, probably 0.1% in Q4 2019
Some hopeful words and ‘cautiously optimistic’ sounds about right for now. Germany looks set for a period of flattish growth over the coming quarters but if the industrial sector remains sluggish, there is the fear that it could spill over to other areas of the economy in due time.