German DAX erases earlier gains
The major European shares are ending the session lower. The German DAX and UK FTSE erased earlier gains to close near session lows.
The provisional closes are showing:
- German DAX, -0.3%
- France’s CAC, -0.7%
- UK’s FTSE 100, -1.0%
- Spain’s Ibex, -0.9%
- Italy’s FTSE MIB, -0.7%
In other markets as London/European traders look to exit:
- spot gold is trading down $5.44 or -0.31% at $1782.29
- spot silver is trading down $0.05 or -0.22% at $22.52.
- WTI crude oil futures are down $0.62 of -1.36% of $44.91
- Bitcoin on the Coinbase exchange traded up to $19,873.23. Depending on which exchange, that was a new all-time record high (on Coinbase the high is at $19,891.99).
In the US stock market, the snapshot of the current market shows declines across the board:
- S&P index -33 points or -0.90% at 3605.55
- NASDAQ index -76.5 points or -0.63% at 12130
- Dow industrial average -384 points or -1.29% at 29524.90
In the forex, the GBP has taken over from the CAD as the strongest of the majors. The AUD is still the weakest. The USD moved from being mostly negative, to mostly positive vs the major currencies. It is now higher vs. the EUR, JPY, AUD and NZD and lower vs the GBP. It is near unchanged vs. the CHF and CAD.